Breast Cancer Screening…Is it Time for Yours?
Another October has come and nearly gone…another opportunity to don pink, participate in a walk or other fundraising event, read an inspirational story of survival, and help raise awareness about the ongoing battle against breast cancer.
But have you done the one thing that can truly save a life? Have you had your annual mammogram?
Even though breast cancer survival rates have increased, thanks to new treatment and earlier detection, breast cancer remains the number two cause of cancer deaths in women.
The American Cancer Society offers these guidelines for breast cancer screening for women of average risk:
- Women ages 40 – 44 can begin annual screening mammography
- Women ages 45 – 54 should undergo annual screening mammography
- Women ages 55 and over can transition to every-other-year screening mammography OR continue with annual screening mammography
- Women should continue screening mammography as long as their overall health is good and they have a life expectancy of 10 years or longer
- Women at any age should not rely on breast examination alone for breast cancer screening
Women at high risk such as those with a personal history of breast cancer, those who have tested positive for a gene associated with breast cancer, or those who have been exposed to radiation treatments of the chest, should ask their doctor for a screening schedule that is right for them.
For additional information, visit http://sites.jamanetwork.com/breastcancerscreening/
Prevention is the Best Medicine
Researchers now know that certain lifestyle choices may increase your risk of getting cancer. By changing your lifestyle, you may help reduce your risk of breast cancer. Recommendations include:
- Eat a low-fat diet, with lots of fruits and vegetables and little red meat or processed meats
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Participate in 150 minutes or more of moderate exercise each week
- Limit alcoholic drinks to no more than one per day
Your Lifestyle-for-Life Coach can help you determine if you need to schedule a mammogram. Call 888.422.8181, option #5 or email email@example.com to reach your coach.
For more information, or to find a facility near you, contact your MAP at 1.888.422.8181